The principles of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice, in summary, are:
• The Voice will give independent advice to the parliament and government.
• The Voice will be chosen by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people based on the wishes of local communities.
• The Voice will be representative of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities, gender balanced and include youth.
• The Voice will be empowering, community-led, inclusive, respectful and culturally informed.
• The Voice will be accountable and transparent.
• The Voice will work alongside existing organisations and traditional structures.
• The Voice would be able to make representations about improving programs and services, but it would not manage money or deliver services.
• The Voice will not have veto power.
If the referendum passes, there will be a process with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities, the parliament and the broader public to settle the Voice design. Legislation to establish the Voice will then go through standard parliamentary processes to ensure adequate scrutiny by elected representatives in both houses of parliament.To order photos from this page click here