With the recent warm weather, many local residents are reporting the presence of snakes in their yards and also the loss of dogs after being bitten.
A Village Homes resident on Apex Road was surprised recently to discover that a snake had slithered across the front patio of the unit and then disappeared into the garden.
Australia has the most venomous snakes in the world, and all snake-bites in Australia should be considered potentially life-threatening until proven otherwise.
According to the Animal Poisons Centre, snake bites can often be relatively painless and not leave any obvious bite marks, especially on furry friends where it is often hard to see the skin clearly.
The centre advises pet owners to be cautious in letting pets wander off into bushland. It is safest to keep a pet on a short leash and avoid walking through heavily-vegetated areas.
Landholders are reminded to keep yards clean and free from rats and mice which can attract snakes.
Residents are also advised to get rid of clutter and long grass where snakes can hide, to seal openings to the home and erect fencing where possible as a deterrent.
In summer, snakes, including venomous species such as tiger snakes and brown snakes, are typically more active very early in the morning, late in the evening, or during the night when temperatures are not too high for them.
The Animal Poisons Centre advises pet owners to contact the centre or the nearest vet if a pet is found playing with a snake or has been bitten.To order photos from this page click here