Tens of thousands of dollars of tools and equipment stolen from Gunnedah in recent weeks has angered and frustrated local tradies.

The thefts have not only left workers without the right tools for the job, they have also sent trust to all time low in the Gunnedah community.

Gunnedah’s Matt Hannay recently had about $8500 worth of tools stolen from a locked vehicle in Hopedale Avenue.

Mr Hannay said although he expected insurers would provide financial reimbursement for the equipment stolen, he was left frustrated at having to borrow tools from other people to complete his work.

Gunnedah police said the incident was reported about 48 hours after the theft and although a canvass of the area for witnesses and CCTV footage was made, at this stage those responsible have not been identified.

Furthermore, due to the late report the vehicle was not able to be examined forensically.

Police enquiries are continuing into the matter and authorities would appreciate any assistance from the public about this matter.

It was a similar story for Gunnedah builder Joe Perkins who had about $6000 worth of tools stolen last week from a locked trailer parked on a new building block.

He said thieves ripped the property gate from its hinges to gain access to the site and then broke into his trailer to steal the tools.

Much of the hardware stolen was expensive battery-operated equipment.

Mr Perkins said he had bought some stuff “to get by” while the insurance paperwork was finalised but was dismayed at the intrusion to his business. “I’ve been building for 35 years but never had something like this happen,” he said.

Gunnedah police canvassed the scene for CCTV and possible witnesses, however at this stage no-one had been identified. Again, police were seeking assistance from the public. Also counting the cost of another break-in was local plumber Jake Dawson. Offenders cut a hole in the fence of the business premises last Tuesday and stole a small amount of scrap copper. A review of CCTV footage identified two males were involved.

It was the second break-in in just a matter of months at the Gunnedah business. Gunnedah police said this is an ongoing investigation with police enquiries continuing. Again, anyone with information was strongly encouraged to contact police.

Gunnedah police asked that members of the public be vigilant and report any suspicious behaviour. The timely reporting of crime will also assist police gathering vital evidence and any delay could hamper police investigations.

To order photos from this page click here