Gunnedah Bulldogs upset Boggabri Kangaroos to regain the Boyde Campbell Cup when they stunned the home side with their 30-14 Whitehaven Coal Group 4 success at Jubilee Oval on Sunday.

The Bulldogs were always in control too, scoring a try in the 12th minute through talented backrower Aidan Davis and then posted three more through Tom Randall (22nd), Keegan Loughrey (24th) and Toby Randall (36th) to go to the break 22-nil ahead.

Boggabri did fight back to post three tries through Iliasa Kalokalodrau (48th), Robert Doolan (60th) and Nic Millar (65th) but the Roos fell away at the back end of the second half with some mistakes as Gunnedah closed out the game with a last-minute touchdown by David Smith.

The Bulldogs had been in a position to win recent games against Kootingal and Werris Creek but threw those chances away with second half errors.

Not so Saturday, where coach Sean Haynes said the first half was the best they have played all year.

“The first half was the best we have played this year,” Gunnedah coach Sean Hayne told Group 4 Media.

“And we defended a lot better this week. We were able to defend our errors. We did make some errors but we made them at the right end of the field.

“It has been a tough year for us so it is always great to win and a local derby as well. I thought we showed a lot of character today.”

Hayne said backrower Aidan Davis was outstanding for the Bulldogs.

“I thought he was a standout and he did get our players player. He was excellent on the left edge but a few of the boys also had their best games of the season too.”

Boggabri coach Shane Rampling was hugely disappointed of his side’s performance describing is as “pretty ordinary”.

“Our first half was embarrassing,” he said of a 22-l deficit at the major break.

“[Gunnedah] ran harder, tackled harder. They were switched on and out-enthused us. We had a couple of players drop out before the game but that was no excuse. Gunnedah just wanted it more. If we did not concede that try just before half-time, we might have been a chance but we still had to play some footy. We did that and got back to 22-14 with 15 to go but did some silly things, dropped the ball and gave away some silly penalties. We did not get in the grind and an arm wrestle. We have got to regroup now for Narrabri next week.”

Photos by Orla Lyons:

To order photos from this page click here