A Moree man has appeared in court facing more than a dozen charges following a police pursuit through residential streets in Gunnedah on Tuesday.

A white Nissan Qashqai was witnessed by many as it sped through side streets and school crossing zones, frighteningly close to the busy school pick-up time in Gunnedah.

Following several pursuits through Gunnedah from 8.30am, police sighted the Nissan on Heiler Street and attempted to stop the vehicle just after 3pm.  Police activated warning devices when the Nissan drove onto a nature strip colliding with a fence before crashing into a police vehicle, in an attempt to flee.

No-one was injured but during a search of the vehicle, officers located and seized a rifle, a knife and several sets of car keys.

A 23-year-old man was arrested and taken to Gunnedah Police Station and charged before appearing in Tamworth Local Court on Wednesday.

Several people reported near misses with the car, which was being pursued by police and wanted in relation to an alleged armed invasion of a home in Curlewis early on Tuesday morning.

Two men – one armed with a firearm – forced entry into a home on Railway Street, Curlewis, at about 2am demanding cash and drugs.

The pair allegedly threatened and assaulted the occupants of the home – a man and woman – before they fled with a mobile phone in a white Nissan Qashqai.

Four children home at the time were not injured.

About 3.20am, police sighted the Nissan on the Oxley Highway, Bective, and attempted to stop the vehicle due to excessive speed.

When it failed to stop, a pursuit was initiated. The pursuit was terminated a short time later due to safety concerns.

It followed another violent confrontation at Narrabri earlier that morning.

Just after 12am on Tuesday, two men – one armed with a firearm – entered a service station on the Newell Highway, Narrabri, while a third man was waiting inside a Mitsubishi Triton. 

The men allegedly threatened a console operator and a customer with the firearm, demanding cash and keys to a car. Attempts were made to steal the motor vehicle and when they failed, the pair fled in the Triton with cash. The Triton was located burnt out in Lincoln Street, Gunnedah, at 5am on Tuesday.

The man facing court was charged with steal motor vehicle (x2); robbery while armed with dangerous weapon (x2); use offensive weapon in company with intent indictable offence (x4); specially aggravated break and enter commit serious indictable offence-weapon; assault occasioning actual bodily harm in company of others (x3); damage property by fire/explosive, drive recklessly/furiously or speed/manner dangerous; class A motor vehicle exceed speed more than 45km/h; police pursuit – not stop – drive at speed (x4); dishonestly obtain property by deception (x2); drive motor vehicle during disqualification period; possess unregistered firearm and, possess unauthorised firearm.

To order photos from this page click here